Guidelines for BFS World Congresses
The Bachelier Finance Society solicits proposals to host World Congresses to be held every two years in the summer of even years. Proposals should address the following points.
- The identity of the Lead Organizer(s) and Local Organizing Committee.
If the proposal is accepted, this group will appoint a Scientiﬁc Committee subject to approval by the Bachelier Finance Society Executive Committee. The Scientiﬁc Committee chooses the plenary speakers, accepts or rejects contributed talks, makes decisions about ﬁnancial support for Congress participants, sets policies governing the Congress, and creates the program of the Congress. The Lead Organizer or Organizers chair the Scientiﬁc Committee.
- The proposed venue and time for the Congress and information on conference facilities, availability and cost of accommodation in the proposed location at the time.
If the proposal is accepted, the Local Organizing Committee reserves space for the Congress and organizes the Congress receptions, social events, and a banquet. If the Congress is to take place in a hotel, the Local Organizing Committee will secure a block of rooms in this hotel at a reasonable price. Regardless of whether the Congress is to be held in a hotel or another venue, the Committee should gather information on accommodation in the Congress vicinity in various price ranges and provide that to potential Congress participants. Once this is in place, the Local Organizing Committee publicizes the Congress via a website and a call for papers in the form of a poster and e-mail distributed via the Society membership list.
- Opportunities for industrial sponsorship.
The Bachelier Society relies on industrial sponsorship in order to hold the Congress, and the opportunities for industrial sponsorship will play a critical role in the evaluation proposals. Industry sponsorship is used primarily to underwrite the cost of participation by graduate students and junior faculty. Industry sponsors are acknowledged and invited to make brief presentations at the Congress.
- Plans to secure secretarial/technical support prior to and during the Congress.
Support personnel prepare a website for the Congress that receives registrations and contributed talks. Support personnel assist the Scientiﬁc Committee in screening contributed talks and assist the Local Organizing Committee with conference logistics.
The venue for the World Congress will be chosen by the Bachelier Finance Society Council at the beginning of the preceding even year. Once a proposal has been accepted, the Local Organizing Committee should use the following timeline to prepare for the Congress. The timeline is set with the target of having the venue and plenary speakers announced 14 months before the Congress. The Local Organizing Committee should provide reports to the Society Council at least once every three months on these preparations.
- 18 months before:
- Venue chosen and preliminary budget set
- Scientiﬁc Committee chosen
- 15 months before: Plenary speakers chosen
- 14 months before:
- Date, venue, plenary speakers and Scientiﬁc Committee posted at BFS website
- Flyers prepared for distribution
- 12 months before:
- Congress website opens and announces date, venue, plenary speakers and Scientiﬁc Committee
- Search for sponsors underway
- 10 months before: Structure of registration fees set
- 8 months before: Congress website begins accepting registrations and submissions
- 6 months before: Submissions deadline
- 5 months before: Acceptances communicated to authors
- 3 months before: Junior faculty and graduate support awarded
- 6 weeks before: Program announced
- 0–4 months before: Monthly updates to Council on registration and sponsorships